Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Fake tea and real zisha clay

Should I always just review teas? Or talk about what I just learned about a technique or piece of teaware? Perhaps not. When I started this blog (more in concept, really), I had an idealistic thought of frequent reviews of the large selection of sample teas I ordered from Adagio Teas. But I also had some sarcastic thoughts about anything BUT tea. I never intended to post any of that. Any way, I'll do something in between.

As far as teas go, I've recently had (and not reviewed) several teas. When I don't so much feel like a demanding brew, or it's late (which usually makes me less in the mood for several short infusions), I've been trying Rooibos varieties. Whites and greens are growing on me a bit. Black and Oolong teas are always nice. But I ran out of Wuyi Ensemble! That's OK, though, since I'll look into more variety of Wuyis.

I'll still do a review, though. It's short. There's no steep time, decanting into intermediate vessels, or anything of that sort.

Sadly, my review is about what I can only call fake tea. Sure, it contains 'real' green tea, but that's all the credit I can give it. Besides this, it's not tea in the slightest.

I'm talking about Snapple's Citrus Infusion Green Tea, which touts being "Real Brewed," but how else is tea made? That's right, there's tea extract. It makes me wonder sometimes. Several of my coworkers were talking about how good they thought it tasted (this was not from any mention of tea from me, I promise). So I tried it. I was disappointed.



All I tasted was something metallic and something like a diluted orange-flavored fruit drink (not juice). The entire experience was sharp and too sweet. I don't mind sugar in tea, but tea should not be so unpleasant. Southern (American iced) teas are rich (depending on the brand, brew, etc.) and strong. Bagged teas in general aren't harsh. They may become bitter from over brewing. That's not what I found. Teas should be smooth, sugar and lemon/lime/orange juice or not.

After I drank the tea (it's not so bad if you don't try to expect 'tea' anything about it). i read the ingredients for curiosity. That was a mistake. I found thirteen ingredients.Many of them are sharing the preservation load with each other. I've never seen a bottled tea without preservatives, but there is a brand or two out there with as few as five ingredients. I've found them before. My biggest concerns are that the second-to-water ingredient in weight is Sodium Hexametaphosphate. I guess Snapple has some very hard water. The actual tea ingredient (listed as 'Green Tea') is above the half-way point, but if this is a green tea infused with citrus, shouldn't the tea be first? that brings me back to tea extract. Scary. The absolute scariest ingredient here is the Sodium Benzoate. Benzene is a confirmed carcinogen. Thanks for approving this, HEALTH DEPARTMENT!

Any way, I'll back off from the seeming extremism. I'm not saying don't drink this. It's tasty, if it's what you like. I've just recently been spoiled on my expectations from tea. I still drink sodas, especially when I'm running late for work sometimes so I get fast food for lunch in stead of taking my usual sandwich. I think a lot of things are OK, taken in moderation.

New Gear

My yixing teapots finally arrived today! It's not that they took too long, at all. I was just anxious to get my hands on some fine teastuffs! I bought them from the Chinese Teapot Gallery Tea Culture store and I'm not disappointed. But enough of the advert! You want pictures!





I'll save these, I think, for when I'm a little more mature in the ways of tea. And, of course, when I decide which kind of tea to brew in each. Perhaps one will be used in my walk down the pu'er road.

No comments: