Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Jasmine #5 (short entry)

Sorry for no pictures, but I've been mostly getting ready for work this morning. Though I have time to slow down for some tea and a blog entry, I really don't have much for extra photographs.

This morning, I slowed down for a bit to have Adagio's Jasmine #5. Adagio also offers #9 and Dragon Pearl Tea (with jasmine).

Sure it's the lowest grade sold on Adagio. But it's still very enjoyable. I used three grams in my gaiwan, but I was not going to use gongfu brewing, just a small container.

I rinsed before brewing, and the pour was temptingly dark. It's just tea, so it's not going to hurt me. So I tried it. The flavor was very present, even after such a short 'steep' of less than ten seconds. The jasmine scent is quite prevalent both in the leaves and the tea, and through subsequent steeps, I found this tea can change dramatically based on conditions.

It's much better made for a lower temp and moderate brewing time. As an Oolong, the tea itself is good for several short infusions. But too much tea, or too hot water, and the jasmine end is ruined. A cooler water (~130 - 180ºF) and at least slightly longer steep produces a flowery tea with a rich color, and not too much jasmine flavor. Adagio's site describes this tea as "a Chun Hao grade tea that is a suitable daily treat. It produces a sweet cup with a light and lingering scent of fresh jasmine flowers."

When brewed right, this tea definitely has a surprising sweetness. When brewed too long, too hot, or too cold, that changes. I took some time to play around this time. The tea changed in a broad spectrum from nearly flavorless to bitter. But returning to better brewing conditions has a nicely redeeming effect.

No comments: