Friday, August 24, 2007

Pu pending

The last time I posted, I reviewed a sample that I was sent in addition to an order. Though I tried to be thorough about my experience, I left out an important part. So I guess I should be fair, and at least show the two puerh cakes I bought recently.


One (Yes, I bought two of each but I mean 'one' as in type) is a 2006 Nan Jian raw cake.

The vendor has the following to say about it on the site:
2006 Nan Jian * Zhai Zi Po Mark * Raw Pu-erh Tea * 200 grams * recipe 0613 Nan Jian tea factory is one of the older Pu-erh tea factories in Yunnan with nearly a 30 years history. This tea factory is also based in Xiaguan and up until 1998 just produced 100 gram tuos of the Raw (生) variety. In 1998 they not only started to produce "bing cha" but also Ripe Pu-erh teas as well. This particular production is a new blend (0613) for 2006 and is specially made for the Zhai Zi Po label by the indigenous Yun Zhou tea factory. Translation of the enclosed "nei piao" follows below: Deep in the mountains lies a village named Zhaizi Po. Residents live in peaceful and contented harmony. Most puzzling is that villagers all seem to enjoy healthy and long lives. This was a mystery until 2004 when an outside tea authority explained that the village, surrounded by ancient tea trees and permeated by the fragrance of tea, has for many years been drinking tea made from the buds of these trees. "Zhaizi Po Small Cake" tea is made from the tender buds of Zhaizi Po's ancient tea trees and pressed into cakes using traditional high-heat steam methods. Featuring a distinctive flavor and enchanting fragrance, this tea nourishes and beautifies the body. Drinking it can stimulate health and longevity. This is a rare opportunity for tea drinkers to possess this exquisite tea. Produced by Yunnan, Yun County, Yunzhou Tea Factory Vintage: Fall 2006 Process: Sun-dried and compressed. Region: Zhai Zi Po Village of Lincang Packaging: 5 cakes per stack, 1 stack = 1 kilogram Shipping weight: 200 grams
It's the larger cake in the image above. This one, unlike the other, came with a paper describing the tea. The paper says, well, the exact same as the web site. so there's no reason to go on about that. The part about "a distinctive flavor and enchanting fragrance" makes me anxious to try this one. Of course, considering the recent extreme heat, and people saying that high temperatures can diminish the tea experience, I think I may let it rest at least until it's a little cooler out.

The other tea is a 2005 Gong Ting ripe puerh, also from the same vendor. This one ships in a 100g cake. Angelina's teas posts the following about this cake:
Highest quality "gong ting" tribute Pu-erh is fermented and then compressed into these mini tea cakes. Gong ting Pu-erh is the smallest (and most expensive) grade of fermented Pu-erh and is packed with flavor. These mini-beengs are inside and out gong ting leaves! The flavor is earthy and with a creaminess, not heavily fermented, but needs a few months to mellow, as this is Fall 2005 production. Vintage: Fall 2005 Region: Baoshan and Lincang Process: Fermented Producer: Ganquan Tea Factory * 甘泉茶厂

So it seems it may be a good idea, possibly, to age this one before I try it. However, it may also be a good idea to try it now, and note the mellow changes in time. The description of the flavor also makes this a very tempting cake to break into right away.

But I'll be sure to post my experience when I do finally try each! And possibly notes when I try them again. And again. And again. And as I learn to better appreciate every nuance of puerh.

No comments: