Monday, August 20, 2007

Sencha

Before I continue, props to MaryR for the thorough review of several types of Snowbud!

(to the entry!)

It's fun watching a tea evolve from one steep to the next. The first brew of Adagio's Sencha (yes, I'm still going through my Adagio teas) is a vibrant green. the next is a little more yellow. The third is much less green, and takes on a brown hue. The leaves change dramatically from dry, through the first steep, and after their flavor is spent. So what did I learn?

When I was still trying to decide which tea to make today, the folks in TeaChat were talking about green teas. It sounded too good to not have one today. Wes mentioned that Sencha should be brewed about 90 seconds for best results. I took his advice. I wasn't disappointed.

While I was gathering everything (I decided to have tea in front of the computer, so I had to bring everything to another room), I took the time to smell the dry leaves. They smell much like a summer lawn. Really. The scent evokes memories of lying in the grass when I was little. But it's not an unpleasant smell. The leaves' appearance is almost grass-like, with the leaves laterally rolled, compressed, dried, or whatever is done to get that shape. Just long and narrow, and a nice dark green.



The first time, I let the water continue heating for a bit, hoping the teapot wouldn't cool it too much, but it did. I've never gotten water above 180ºF in the kettle, and the room temp pot brought the water down to 133ºF. With the thermometer sticking from the spout of the teapot, it looks like I have a sick blow fish. It's quite entertaining. Any way, about two minutes after closing the lid on the teapot, I poured. The small leaves tend to pour with the tea, but the strainer catches them for the return to the pot! The liquor was a wonderful green. It's a great reminder that bagged tea hold nothing to lose. Of course, most bagged teas out there don't distinguish beyond being "green." the flavor? A little grassy, but still quite nice.

When I removed the lid from the teapot to pour the water for the second infusion, the strong smell of grass welled out. It was surprising, and told me this tea had more to offer! This time, the pot was warmed a bit, and the water stayed around 150ºF. The tea was poured about two minutes later (just over, actually) to reveal a yellower brew but one still flavorful. The grassy flavor had washed out a little, leaving the rest.

The third infusion, a little warmer, a little longer, revealed a less green and slightly brown tea. The flavor was a bit washed out, and I knew it's best not to brew more -- at least not expecting a really good cup of tea. The flavor retained a touch of grass, and added a little bitterness. It wasn't the kind of bitterness that leaves a dry sensation. It was more a detraction from the previous sweetness. It was a nice turn for the conclusion of this tea.

The leaves opened up nicely. They're a little chopped up -- I stress a little. Plenty of leaf surface remains, and the rehydrated contents revealed their veiny details. A few stems were among the mix, as well. Here's the final 'cup of tea."

5 comments:

Salsero said...

Yes, those sencha leaves always strike me as an amazing example of modern engineering at its best. Seems impossible.

Chip taught me a general rule for sencha infusion (which I have probably overgeneralized): start with not-too-hot water (150 F) and brew for 90 s, 30 s, 30, then (if the tea will go that far) 1 or 2 minutes, then 5 minutes, and if it's really good I have enjoyed a final delicate 10 min infusion. But the main sencha trick seems to be a longer first infusion than the second and third infusions. Also, the idea is to move the temp a little higher on each infusion, but I don't also do that, liking the softer feel that cooler water seems to give me.

I have tried Adagio's Sencha Premier, which I found to be very good value, but I haven't tried the Overture. Sounds like I am missing out on a lovely "grassy" sencha, grassy being a positive term for certain kinds of sencha. Based on your description, I would say the Sencha Premier incorporates a little more fruity taste along with grassy and maybe more acidity. I would enjoy a head to head comparison of these two senchas.

Thanks for the nice post.

Jamie D. said...

Nice review...I was directed to your site from my recent sencha review, and was interested to learn here that 80 seconds was perfect brewing time for sencha. I'll try that with my gaiwan next time, and perhaps that will be better!

Ernest said...

Salsero:
Several of the reviews of the Premier say that it is not significantly better than the Overture. I just ended up with it because when i began my experience, I purchased several of the basic sample packs (none "savant"). So i really don't have a comparison between the two. Perhaps I should!

And I'll keep the steeping advice in mind. I had read one errant post somewhere that suggested something similar to that, but I wasn't sure of the source of that info.

Jamie:
Your recent sencha review? I'd like to read it. As someone fairly new to tea, I'm interested in as much information as I can find.

Jamie D. said...

Sorry I didn't realize my profile was in "lockdown" mode. You'll find my review on my tea blog, Tea on Tap. Stop on in and scroll down, I believe it was Monday's review. :-)

Kirtika saha said...

Thanks for your excellent blog, nice work keep it up thanks for sharing the knowledge. Buy Instagram Followers In India